We have provided some frequently asked questions below. Of course should you have any additional questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Is New Hope Academy a recognized school?

New Hope Academy (NHA) is an accredited private school in the state of Florida. NHA is registered with the Florida Department of Education.

What does the term “umbrella” mean?

Just like an umbrella covers you when it rains, an “umbrella school” is a covering of homeschoolers. This allows homeschoolers to be under a private school administration and not under the requirements of the state homeschooling laws. Members of NHA are considered private school students, not homeschooled students.

What curriculum do you require that we use while enrolled with New Hope Academy?

Unlike traditional schools where every student must use the same curriculum, homeschool families have the ability to choose the curriculum that best fits the need of the student. Students can be grade levels ahead or behind their actual grade depending on their abilities and desires.

We prefer the unit study approach. Is that acceptable?

Parents have the freedom to choose curriculum from the approved curriculum list. If the material you plan to use is not on the list, it must be reviewed by NHA for approval. NHA’s only requirement for students is that high school credits will only be given for high school level material, regardless of what curriculum is used.

Does New Hope Academy sell curriculum or homeschooling materials?

NHA does not sell curriculum or materials. We do have a lending library of donated materials that can be checked out.

Why do you require immunization records, birth certificates, physicals, and waivers?

Florida State Law requires private schools to have immunization records, birth certificates, and physicals or waivers. Therefore, we require these documents and must keep them on file.


Are standardized tests required?

Students in K through 2 grades must submit evaluations administered by state certified teachers OR or standardized test scores administered by NHA. Students in grades 3 through 12 must submit standardized test scores that will be administered by NHA. Students in the 10th – 12th grades are encouraged to take the PSAT, PACT, SAT, ACT or PERT in place of the annual standardized testing. Provisions will be made for students with documented learning disabilities who cannot pass standardized testing. Also, their test scores will be reviewed with this in mind.

Why does NHA have a Statement of Faith?

New Hope Academy’s Statement of Faith must be signed by all families. The Statement of Faith lists the basic tenets of Christianity. The Statement of Faith is to inform everyone of the standards held by New Hope Academy. By stating our common beliefs, we can attend functions with the understanding and expectation that the families we will be interacting with have the same values.

Why do you require immunization records, birth certificates, physicals, and waivers?

Florida State Law requires private schools to have immunization records, birth certificates, and physicals or waivers. Therefore, we require these documents and must keep them on file.


Do you have a catalog that can be mailed to me?

All our information is available on this website: www.newhopeacademy.com. If you do not have access to a computer printer, we will be happy to mail you our information.

I’d like references. Would New Hope Academy give me a list of student’s names and phone numbers?

Your privacy is important to us. To protect our students and their families, we do not give out lists of our members. Upon request, we can give you a few e-mail addresses of willing members to answer any questions you may have. It will be their decision as to whether they reply to your e-mail.

How long does New Hope Academy plan to be in existence?

NHA has no plans to cease operating.


When are reports due? What is involved in reporting to New Hope Academy?

Grade reports are due February 10th and August 10th. Curriculum lists are due September 10th. Seniors have their final semester’s grades due in May. We do not require samples of your work. If you do not use a traditional curriculum, we strongly suggest that you keep a portfolio (samples of work, journal, log, etc.) of your student’s work.

We’ve had a death/birth in the family. Can we get an extension on the due date?

If your family is experiencing a hardship, you may contact us to discuss a reporting extension.

What happens after a report is submitted?

After a report is submitted, it is recorded and placed in the student’s file. You are encouraged to keep a copy of all reports for your records.


High School:

What are your requirements for graduation? After graduating from New Hope Academy, will my child receive a diploma?

NHA has three diplomas options: College Prep, Standard, and Vocational. Each student must declare which track they are pursuing when entering the 11th grade. We also offer a “Certificate of Completion” (not a diploma) for students who are unable to pass the 10th grade Standardized Test.

Does the diploma mention homeschooling or correspondence school?

NHA is a private school. Therefore, our diplomas do not mention anything of homeschooling/correspondence school nature. Our diploma resembles many private or public school diplomas.

I am an adult. Is it possible for me to receive a high school diploma through your program?

Adults are welcome to enroll in NHA. We’ll be happy to assist them in setting up an accelerated graduation plan so that they may receive their high school diploma in a timely fashion. If they are not in a hurry, we will create a more traditional course of study. Contact us for more details.


I’m interested in enrolling with Florida Virtual High School. Can you help me?

Yes, we can help. Upon enrollment with FLVS, NHA will approve courses for the student. Parent-Teachers report their courses and grades to NHA. Courses will appear on the student’s transcript and be applied toward graduation. For more information on Florida Virtual School, visit http://www.flvs.net.

We are Florida residents; however, my high school students participate in the local high school’s extracurricular activities. Can we continue to participate in sports at the local high school as New Hope Academy students?

Yes, the 2011 Florida Legislature approved a measure, which allows students enrolled in a private school to play sports with the public school they are zoned to attend.

We are a part of a local support group. Can we be a part of NHA and be in a support group?

Yes, a support group is not a school; therefore you are able to be involved in a private school and a support group.


Is New Hope Academy a “600′′ school? If so, what does “617′′ mean?

All private schools in Florida are “600” schools. We are a “617” school which means we are a non-profit school, and we can provide legal covering to all Florida residents.

When do we send in our letter to terminate our homeschool program?

As soon as the student is accepted as a student in NHA, the parent should send a letter to their School Board or Superintendent of School’s office terminating their homeschool program. The letter should contain each child’s legal name and date-of-birth. And it, as any correspondence sent to the county, should be mailed USPS Certified with return receipt. Retain the receipt in the child’s important records at home. Failure to send in the letter of termination could result in the parent submitting a portfolio evaluation or standardized test scores to the School Board at the end of the year.

Does NHA offer tuition assistance?

Yes, NHA offers tuition assistance to families in need. If your family is in need of assistance or you know of a family who would benefit from assistance, please contact NHA for a financial aid application.